Been a while since I built a model and remembered to take some photos along the way, but managed to do it this time, so here we go! Or, skip the boring parts and just view the completed build.
This was my first kit ordered from GK-M and I was pretty pleased. The condition of pieces out of the box is probably one of the best I’ve done so far, top 3 at least (most other kits from e2046). After the standard nub removal from mold, there was some minor cleanup on the top of head / hair line (expected), but outside of that I just filled a couple tiny imperfections to smooth things out here and there.
Even better, there weren’t really any gaps to fill either. Normally I’ve had some adjustments needed attaching limbs, but this one was all a decent fit out of the box.
Choosing the colors to use took far too long on this one and I’m not sure why. Part of the trouble was figuring out what pieces to paint which color (the original image didn’t have close ups of the mid area). The original kit is mostly mute, whites, shades of gray/silver. I tried a couple options that I had on hand but ended up going with a bit more color in the end.
This was my first time using Gaia Notes paints. I got them particularly to try out the skin tones (52 and 53 here) based on excellent videos put out by Leona’s Workshop to have some variation from my usual clear orange mix approach (and perhaps a bit faster, I have lots of kits stacking up).
I think I could go a little heavier on the accent color next time, it looked fairly heavy when I was painting fresh but I think it faded out a lot before I was done.
And lastly, just some final photos before detailing and building the final product. It was pretty time consuming masking. Also, even though I tried to be thorough, you can see it isn’t perfect (especially the front pelvis where purple and white meet). Maybe one day I’ll get it right, until then I’ll just do my best.
One tricky part came with the six little ribs (or whatever they are, I’m no doctor) that get attached to the sides of the spine. They were pretty small to deal with, and I was working with pretty liquid super glue for the first time as well. The top two are almost underneath the upper body as well, which I had already glued in place (perhaps I should’ve glued in different order).
There was some minor resin bending needed on the similar “cable attachments” or whatever the purple things are on the sides of each elbow as well.
With that, head on over to the final product page!