View the Completed Tallgeese.
This is one of my favorite kits to date. While I built this kit a couple of years ago, I did find some pictures and an old forum thread containing some of the details so I decided to toss up this short WIP on the site just to get it all in one place.
I do not have any photos of the initial build, but I do have shots before paint.
I tried to do very little pla-plating on this model – I believe this was my first time trying pla-plates. At the time I found it tiring to cut through them, especially since I used one of the thicker sheets. I have since learned that just making several passes over it (not too much pressure on each pass – there is no need to cut all the way through) and then snapping it the rest of the way results in a much easier yet still clean cut.
I also tried adding some simple lines with a scriber – also a first for me at the time I believe. The photo is from the (I assume) ammo for the gun.
This was my second mecha to try pre-shading on. The first was Miguels Ginn and I found the black pre-shading a bit strong for the yellow top coat. For the Tallgeese, I tried something more subtle. I chose the Tallgeese 1 paint scheme. Parts have been primed, re-sanded, white base, and then pre-shade
After airbrushing the top coat it is kind of hard to see the pre-shading. I have always found it difficult not to overspray the top coats and that is something I am still working on to this day.
One of the more flawed regions is the shield. I had no idea how to mask the eagle and some of the masking wasn’t perfect when airbrushing the white so I handpainted some of that as well which isn’t perfect. At the time, I only used either tape or a liquid mask for masking and wasn’t very good at either.
At this point, I went on to do some decals, an enamel wash, and final clear coat. I do not have pictures of this process though, but the final results can be seen at the Completed Tallgeese page.